Slips happen when there is too little friction or traction between footwear and the talking surface, and are typically caused by wet and oily surfaces, spills, weather, loose or unanchored rugs or mats, flooring with varying amounts of traction.
Trips happen when your foot collides with an object, causing you to loose balance and fall. An obstructed view, poor lighting, clutter, wrinkled carpet and uneven walking surfaces cause trips.
Good housekeeping and job site cleaning is fundamental to preventing falls due to slips and trips. This includes:
- Cleaning all spills immediately
- Marking spills and wet areas
- Mopping or sweeping debris from floors and job sites
- Removing obstacles from walkways and always keeping them free of clutter
- Securing mats, rugs and carpets that do not lay flat
- Closing file cabinet or storage drawers
- Covering cables that cross walkways
- Keeping working areas and walkways well lit replacing used light bulbs and faulty switches
The risk of falling at work can be reduced by taking your time and paying attention to where you are and what you are doing, adjusting your stride to a pace that is suitable for the walking surface and tasks you are performing, keeping walk areas clear of clutter, bright lighting and not carrying objects that prevents you from seeing obstructions and spills.
Neff Rental’s safety meetings highlight trip, slip and fall hazards, and employees are encouraged to maintain clean and safe work areas to prevent accidents. For more information about Neff Rental, visit www.neffrental.com, or call 888-709-NEFF.
Image location: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wet_floor_sign