With Thanksgiving and the various holidays in December fast approaching, several decisions need to be made about how to secure and protect construction equipment and job sites over the extended breaks.
During the upcoming holidays – Thanksgiving on Thursday, Nov. 24 and then Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanza and other celebrations towards the end of December – construction job sites are sometimes left unguarded and equipment unprotected.
Children may see a vacant job site with parked equipment, uncovered trenches, or buildings under construction as an imaginary playground while being unaware of the trip, fall and cave-in hazards.
For thieves, a temporarily inactive and, sometimes, unprotected job site is an invitation to attempt to remove unguarded equipment, small tools and materials.
And for people with a malicious attitude, job sites are used to express themselves by damaging equipment and defacing property.
To protect equipment and secure a job site while celebrating the holidays, here are some options:
- Secure the site perimeter with tall fencing, and maintain a clear zone adjacent to fencing to prevent people from climbing over.
- Lock up materials, secure vehicles and equipment and activate kill switches to disable ignitions.
- Light up the job site to effectively deter theft and vandalism.
- Use security guards and have them patrol the site over the holidays. Provide them with a way to communicate with project supervisors.
- Install a motion-sensitive video monitoring system to capture images of people, and vehicle traffic entering and exiting the site.
- Park heavy equipment against gates to prevent access.
- Place equipment in front of storage container doors.
- Park equipment in a way to make it impossible to move units that do not have kill switches.
If you choose to leave equipment and job sites unattended this holiday season, please do yourselves a favor and make sure they are protected and secure. Then, when you come back to work, you can pick up where you left off with no distractions.
For more information about equipment rentals and securing your rented equipment over the holiday season, contact Neff Rental at 888-709-NEFF, or visit www.NeffRental.com to locate a branch near your job site.