Cold weather poses a danger to construction workers and equipment operators. By recognizing the physical and mental signals of cold-weather stress, individuals can know when to take action that prevents fatigue, accidents and injury to themselves.
When an individual is experiencing the following symptoms, they should immediately go to or be instructed to go to a location where they can warm up, drink warm water and rest for a few minutes. These symptoms include:
- Discomfort from cold stiff hands and feet, runny nose and shivering.
- Reduced manual skills, dexterity, coordination and accuracy.
- Stiffness of muscles and joints.
- Difficulty maintaining their core body temperature.
- Red, swollen, tender and itchy patches or skin.
- Trench foot – swelling, numbness,...